GameZoo Forums

Live free, frag hard.

You are not logged in.

#1 06/01/2013 21:26:38

seven
Administrator

Akismet antispam for FluxBB 1.5.*

Giusto un promemoria, che prima o poi me lo dimenticherò!

Hello everyone,

we (gamezoo.org, gamers association providing gaming-related services) put together a mod enabling Akismet spam protection for FluxBB 1.5.*.

Features:

• Group check - decide which user groups are to be checked (untrusted users). It's a powerful feature with group auto-promotion: you can tell Akismet to check only posts from guests or newly registered users, avoiding to ban known-good users.

• Additional triggers - if akismet is too unforgiving, you can restrict it to check only posts longer than X bytes, or containing links.

• Spam queue - every post marked as spam will be put in a queue, and the spammer banned. Every post can stay indefinitely in the spam queue, or being deleted forever after X days. Admins and moderators can review the spam queue and decide to restore hams. Hams will be signaled to akismet, to help it learning from its mistakes.

• "Mark as spam" link under posts - trusted users can zap the spam that Akismet failed to catch. These posts will be signaled to akismet. You can configure user groups that are trusted (usually admins and mods).

• Sanitize spammers' user infos - when a spam post is deleted from the spam queue, this mod deletes everything from the spammer's profile, except from its IP, username and email, preventing your forum to contain dangerous links that may cause a downranking by search engines.

Rough edges:

• Tested only on MySQL - we can't guarantee it working on other databases, though the table install script is the only SQL code added with respect to these found in post.php and viewtopic.php.

• Restore ham - works as expected only if its forum and topic haven't been deleted in the meantime.

• Doesn't forbid spammers from registering - we solved the problem by changing the registration form and geoip-banning the whole world except EU and some other states in nginx.

• Only English - I'm not really into translating.

• License - this one: http://www.wtfpl.net/

• Not really clean code - I should have put all the code in a single file or class, I had to copy entire sections from post.php due to the ham restore feature, and it's being already used so I'm not keen on rewriting it now. It's E_ALL compliant code nonetheless, so your logs won't get flooded.

Files to edit:

• post.php

• viewtopic.php (you could skip it if you don't want the "mark as spam" option to trusted users).

Database changes:

• Adds a new table: gz_akismet_queue

How to install it:

Here is an image showing the spam queue: http://www.imagecross.com/d/image-hosti … kismet.jpg

Punirne cento per educarne uno.

#2 07/01/2013 09:50:30

seven
Administrator

Re: Akismet antispam for FluxBB 1.5.*

#3 03/05/2013 13:41:22

seven
Administrator

Replaced every "require" with "require_once".

See http://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=50330#p50330 and my reply there.

#4 26/01/2014 14:58:46

jack
Rookie

Stavo scrivendo qui ma poi ho rinotato il thread ufficiale sul sito flux, quindi ho scritto lì wink

#5 27/01/2014 09:16:15

seven
Administrator

big_smile benvenuto lo stesso!

#6 09/02/2014 21:58:59

cstromme
Rookie

Hi! I've been having some problems installing this on the latest version of FluxBB. I've followed the procedures exactly, but when I click the button to create the gz_akismet_queue table I just get a screen saying "Error: Unable to create table fl_gz_akismet_queue. Please check your settings and try again.."

So I went through the php source and copies out the create table query, and replaced the db prefix variable with fl_. Created the table manually in phpmyadmin, and verified that it looked ok. Returned to FluxBB and the plugin page, but it still has the "Create table" button. How do I make it move on from this after manually adding the table?

#7 10/02/2014 11:27:51

seven
Administrator

Hi, I've made a new release and answered you in the fluxbb.org forum: http://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=55014#p55014

Board footer